Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hunger

Of all the movies we have watched, I felt as if this movie, Hunger, was by far the movie that affected me the most. I had left class early this day because I felt sick to my stomach as soon as the movie was over. Thinking about this movie for days after watching it and knowing that it was based off a true story was what kept me thinking about it. The idea that men would stay in their own cells with their own shit on the walls, not clean themselves or shave, and starve themselves just to gain a political status just made me disgusted. Some of the aesthetics that stood out the most to me was the color and the sound. The sound of the men beating on their shields and beating the men at the same time caught my attention the most. All the noise made the beating sound so much more brutal. As if the entire world was supposed to hear these men being beaten. As for the color, there were lots of browns, grey, whites, and very dark shades of colors. All these colors making the movie a very depressing movie with the thought of death on my mind. The color red also portrayed a sign of pain with the bloody knuckles on Lohan and the bleeding sores all over Sands' body. The blood being a sign of pain and suffering that went on during this Hunger Strike. I was pretty shocked to find out that this strike lasted 7 months and 9 men had died.

No comments:

Post a Comment