Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pan's Labyrth

I have sort of a hobby for learning Spanish and about the Spanish culture. When i found out this movie was in Spanish and originated in Spain, I was more than interested. When I first started watching the movie, I thought this was a kid's fairytale movie with talk of the little girl seeing a fairy in the beginning. As the movie progressed, I realized that a company like Disney would never produce a movie with such violence and blood that took place. I found this movie very fascinating because there was a lot of the dream world mixed with reality. For example, when the Faun gave the little girl the plant that wanted to be human. The little girl took care of it and somehow it made her pregnant mother better. Another example was when the little girl used chalk to draw a door to the dream world from the reality world. This movie had me really entranced and also left me with a happy ending feeling. Yes the girl dies in the reality world and leaving her baby brother behind, but she was more than alive in the dream world which i consider heaven. I have heard the idea that when you die, you make your own paradise and I felt that this was the paradise that the Faun helped her into. After watching this movie and seeing the behind the scene footage, i realized there was a lot that I didn't notice. For example, I never realized that the faun and its horns played a major role in symbols throughout the movie. Some symbols were the shape of the tree where the toad lived, the headboard of the bed and the railing of the stairway. Also realizing many of the feminine symbols such as the moon, the baby, the blood in the book and from the mother, I felt that this movie was very feminine. Only having a few symbols of man such as the watch, the guns, and the war, is the reason i find this movie very feminine.

No comments:

Post a Comment